Everyone wants to keep their new baby clean, especially we spend a lot of time and money on our baby’s skin care products to keep it healthy and soft. But chemicals in baby shampoos, soaps and lotions never stop to worry us.
Though we hope that products designed for babies are risk-free, that’s not necessarily the case. Many baby care products contain additives that can be potential irritants. Some babies can develop skin irritation, like eczema, due to the exposure to ingredients in these products.
Children have thin and delicate skin than adults, thus making it more sensitive to irritation. Here are a few tips to help parents care for their child’s sensitive skin:
– Many products contain dyes and perfumes that irritate your child’s sensitive skin. So before buying a baby care product, make sure it is free from dyes and perfumes, and are specially designed for sensitive skin.
– Protect your baby’s skin from the exposure of sun. It can irritate your baby’s delicate skin. Cover your baby with protective clothing.
– Limit your baby’s exposure to other household irritants. Avoid using aerosol products, vacuum weekly, keep your pets out of bedroom, and choose mainly cotton or cotton blend clothing for your baby. Before your child wears new clothing, wash all of it new clothing with sensitive-skin-friendly laundry detergent that is free of dyes and perfumes.
– Keep your baby’s skin well moisturized. Choose a moisturizer that is made for babies and is dermatologist tested. Proper moisturizing help in protecting your baby’s sensitive skin from irritation.
– Consult a doctor if your baby’s skin is very irritated and itchy, or if they have frequent rashes. Some babies have skin conditions such as eczema that require special treatment.