Photo-Aging is a natural process. As we grow old, our skin ages along. It loses its firmness, elasticity, and appearance. Let us remind you, “it is unavoidable.”
There is another type of aging process that is caused by the sun. Aging caused by the sun is often termed as photo-aging. Most of the aging signs that appear in your 30s and 40s are because of photo-aging. This effect is caused by the UV rays of the sun. These UV rays penetrate through the skin and lead to the development of fine lines, wrinkles, freckles and so on.
But don’t worry. We have good news for you. Though they damage the skin, photo-aging can be reversed. That doesn’t mean that these aging effects are temporary. They do require proper therapy.
Early symptoms of photo-aging:
• Formation of wrinkles around regions of skin exposed to the sun such as eyes lips and forehead.
• The appearance of spider veins on the face and neck.
• Loss of colour in the lips.
Symptoms of photo-aging attributed to prolonged exposure to UV:
• Deepened wrinkles and forehead frown lines can be seen even when not frowning.
• Spider veins are most commonly seen around the nose, cheeks, and chin.
• Skin becomes leathery and laxity occurs.
• Age spots appear on the face and hands.
• In extreme cases, pre-cancerous red and scaly spots appear.
Micro-needle dermal therapies play the best role in the treatment of photo-aging. Micro-needle based delivery systems are one of the new advancements for taking care of age signs. Do consult a dermatologist for direction. For people affected by photo-aging, there are broad-spectrum sunscreens that provide effective protection against harmful UV rays. These aging signs are reversible and appropriate therapy will help get rid of the same.
So when you step outside your home next time, use a photo-blocking sunscreen and see the difference.