Sweating is an essential bodily function. But, have you ever been in a situation when you are in a crowded place such as train, bus, or even during important meetings where you have to bear the body odor of a person sitting/standing next to you? Yeah, we have all been in that awkward situation.
Excessive sweating can create an ideal condition for bacterial growth, which in turn causes body odor. The Apocrine gland is the primary culprit behind the production of odor-causing sweat. Excessive sweating and body odor can affect the overall confidence of a person.
Irrespective of sweating being a natural process, we can follow a few methods/regime to control sweat and get rid of the body odor. We are listing down the best tips and tricks below:
- Cleanliness is the first and foremost step to control sweating and get rid of body odor. Taking a bath twice a day can help control the sweat. Additionally, using an anti-bacterial bathing bar for bathing can help to get rid of the smell causing bacteria.
- Wearing clean clothes which are climate-friendly (cotton clothes during summer) can always help.
- Proper exfoliation of the skin, especially in the armpits, around the neck and feet can get rid of the accumulated dirt and gives no place for bacterial growth.
- Detoxifying internally is another method to follow, which not only helps to improve the overall health but also reduce the sweating & body odor.
- Drinking more water, having a balanced diet that has fruits and vegetables, avoiding junk foods, oily/spicy foods, quitting smoking, and intake of alcohol are a few ways to detox.
- Sweating could be a side – effect of certain medications. Once intake of such medicines is stopped, excessive sweating will be regularized on its own. Else, consultation with the doctor is a must.
- Obesity is another major medical condition that causes excessive sweating. Treating obesity not only stops excessive sweating but also leads to a healthy life.
- Neem and tulsi are the best remedies as they have antibacterial properties. You can either put few leaves of neem and tulsi in the water you bathe, or you can make it as a paste and apply it on the body or the most affected parts and then rinse it.
- Sandalwood paste is another efficient remedy. It not only cools down the body and controls the sweat but also gives out an amazing fragrance which can keep the body odor at bay.
- Essential oils such as lavender oil, sandalwood oil, tea tree oil can be added to the water before bathing or can be applied on the skin as well.
- Scrubbing the sweat prone areas with a slice of lemon/potato/baking soda can help to get rid of the body odor.