HEAD LICE – THE OMG INSECT
Have you got an itching head? Do you feel the urge to scratch your head frequently? OMG! Then your head may be a home to lice.
Head lice are often found on the hair at the back of the neck or behind the ears. Although head lice can’t jump or fly, they can spread very easily through head-to-head contact or through shared clothing or personal items such as a hat, towel, or hairbrush. Contrary to the popular myth, personal hygiene has nothing to do with getting head lice.
Like any parent, you might have a few questions about life. Here’s a checklist to help you and your family, get rid of lice.
Step 1: Check your entire family for head lice
• Check all family members for lice and nits.
• Consider calling your doctor right away to set up an appointment and get lice treatment advice and guidance.
• If you suspect any family members, then it’s a good idea to take them to the doctor.
Step 2: Clarify with your doctor
• Ask about permethrin and various treatment options.
• Make sure you understand exactly how to use the medication.
• Follow the correct application steps to treat lice.
Step 3: Remove lice from your house
• Identify items that might contain head lice such as:
1. Pillows/bed linens
2. Stuffed animals
• Machine-wash all washable items in hot water (130°).
• Seal items that can’t be washed in plastic bags for 2 weeks.
Step 4: Share the information
• Call parents of children who may have been in close contact with yours.
• Cancel all sleepovers and play dates until you’re sure that your child is lice free.
• Notify your child’s school.
The next time you have an attack of lice, don’t feel embarrassed. Just kick-start your treatment or medication and start living lice-free.