July 12, 2017
A newborn baby skin is DIFFERENT from adult skin.
The differences are newborns have a thinner outer layer (aka epidermis) of skin than adults. A thinner outer layer of skin means increased risk to irritation.
Be cautious of using too much soap and fragranced products for this reason. Secondly, baby skin has higher water content than adult skin. Thus, baby skin has quicker absorption as well as quicker water loss. Because of these differences your baby needs a special daily skin care routine.
Baby Skin Care Basic
- A massage is an important one-on-one time. Research shows that a baby’s very survival depends on being touched by others – as touch triggers hormones, boosts immunity, and helps fight disease. Also, massaged babies are calmer, sleep better, and cry less — every parent’s dream!
- There’s no special technique for massage. Lay the baby on a soft blanket or fabric massage the baby’s chest and tummy with a warm baby oil or lotion and make eye contact and talk to the baby.
Following a regular bath calms a baby and also washes away oils and excess dry skin which is not good for the baby.
- Using warm water in most areas is more than sufficient. Save your fragrance-free, ph-balanced soap for the areas that need it, like baby bottoms and chubby folds of skin.
- Moisturisers replenishes what your baby’s skin loses and gives your child a protective barrier.
- Ensure that you moisturiser your baby within 2- 3 minutes after bathing.
- When choosing the moisturiser it is preferable to use a fragrance free, hypoallergenic, preservative free moisturiser as your baby’s skin will be very sensitive.
- Most often, diaper rash is caused by the irritating wetness of a soiled diaper.
- The rash can also develop when baby’s skin is not properly dried after a bath.
- Sometimes, a bacteria or yeast infection will cause diaper rash.
- Babies taking antibiotics are especially vulnerable to a yeast infection diaper rash because the drugs allow fungal growth.
- Check diapers frequently and change every 3 hours
- Wash the diaper area with mild fragrance-free cleanser or plain water.
- Use a soft, baby wipes preferably perfume or alcohol free wipes
- Pat baby dry. Don’t rub. Let the diaper area air-dry fully before putting on a fresh diaper.
- Apply a thick layer of diaper creams containing zinc oxide before every diaper change
See your pediatrician if the rash doesn’t clear up in two to three days. If the rash is caused by eczema, a bacterial or yeast infection, or other condition, you may need a prescription treatment.
Popular celebrities are those people who get noticed every day by thousands of eyes and there is a vast majority of people wondering how they have such beautiful and flawless skin and complexion even at this age. Even Though a large part of their beauty on screen are the work of the camera and the highly talented makeup artists, some of them manage to stay the same even off screen or at casual events.
So, here are some of the beauty secrets and the skin care routines followed by 5 popular Bollywood actresses as said by them on several occasions and of course you know it works because we obviously have proof.
Deepika uses Coconut Oil:
Deepika Padukone, the stunning and talented actress of Bollywood admires everyone by her looks. According to her, home based remedies are better and healthy and she prefers to keep her skin glowing the natural way.
Deepika uses Coconut oil and baby oil to massage her face regularly to keep it shining and healthy. She also recommends drinking 8-10 glasses of water every day and her diet is rich in carbs and proteins which help her to stay healthy and fresh.
Aishwarya’s beauty secret is cucumber:
When it comes to beauty and looks, no one can be a better example than Aishwarya Rai. Well, for one thing, she was awarded the Miss World title and was a heartthrob for many people for over a decade.
Even now, after being a mother to a child, Aishwarya has never failed to maintain her beauty and stay young. Thanks to cucumber juice which she uses to soothe her skin occasionally. Aishwarya also follows a routine of drinking a glass of warm water along with honey and lemon every day and she uses yogurt to keep her skin moisturized.
Anushka Sharma believes in Neem:
Anushka Sharma, the latest sensation and the talk of her town for her gorgeous looks owes her beauty to Neem leaves and crushed Neem powder which she uses to detoxify her face. Since Neem is considered both religious and also has medicinal property it will help you to stay healthy and beautiful just like Anushka.
She also uses Neem face packs which are apparently a mixture of Neem leaves, yogurt, rose water and milk to keep her skin from becoming dry and to stay beautiful both on and off the screen and even sometimes in the seating areas of popular cricket stadiums.
Sonakshi Applies Ice:
Sonakshi Sinha, the cute and bubbly actress of Bollywood has a unique way of keeping her skin clean and fresh. No, it is not a medical or skin care product like you think and no she does not eat any vegetable or fruits specifically for it.
What she does is rather simple and effective and it can be done at the comfort of your home and it is also fun. She evidently uses cold ice straight from her freezer to rub them on her face to cool her skin and to keep it moisturized and to keep her pores tight.
Katrina plays with clay:
Katrina Kaif is one of the most beautiful women from Bollywood who believes of inner beauty rather than outer beauty. She follows a routine of applying mineral clay pack on her face and skin. This helps her in getting rid of excess oil from the skin and to keep away from pimples and blemishes at their early stages.
She also prefers to drink green tea instead of normal tea to enhance her beauty and keep her skin fresh. Her diet is also heavily influenced by green vegetables which she insists on boiling with hot water and wheatgrass to enhance her nutrition.
June 5, 2017
Do Reverse aging and restore your skin by investing in these natural oils right away. We recommend 4 such essential oils you must regularly use on your skin for getting that glowing skin back! These oils not only protect skin and work on your wrinkles, but they are also extremely healthy for your body.
Pomegranate Seed Oil
This oil is for those who are looking for remedies for aging skin and are also trying to protect skin from sun damage. Pomegranate seed oil is one of the best natural remedies for sagging skin and is a great sunblock as it also contains SPF.
This is one of the most commonly recommended and oldest of the lot. Frankincense oil with its anti –microbial and anti-inflammatory properties does wonders to aging skin. This oil helps in reducing scars, age spots and marks. The oil also prevents skin from sagging as it tightens and firms the skin.
Anxiety and stress can have direct effects on aging skin. To protect your health and skin from damage, Lavender oil is the best. It is not only soothing and calming for aging skin, but also restores and rejuvenates skin with its anti-inflammatory elements.
Sweet Almond Oil
Rich in vitamin E and K, sweet almond oil helps in better circulation and is another essential oil which acts as an UV protector. Also for those of you who are not fond of the entire odor that these oils come with, sweet almond is the right choice. The carrier oil unlike other botanical oils is odorless and absorbs quickly.
June 1, 2017
Have you ever noticed people with dark and dirty neck?
It looks ugly and it seems they have not taken bath for days or maybe for weeks. Maybe they are in a hurry that they don’t even bother to rub soap on the back of their neck. After all, this is the back, invisible to themselves. People generally tend to forget to keep that part of the body clean.
Do you really think so? Yes, at least these people think so.
They think that their dark neck is dirt accumulated on their neck and they keep rubbing it more often. Despite this, their neck remains dark because it is NOT dirt. Then what is it? Is caused by the neck chain that people wear? Or is it an infection?
No, neither. It is much more ominous than you thought. Though the problem appears on the skin, it is a resultant of problems lying inside the body. This condition is named as “Acanthosis Nigricans” by doctors.
What is this dark patchy neck?
The dark patchy neck is due to extra skin cells on the neck giving it a darker look. Your elbow skin is darker, because of more skin cells. More skin cells on the neck may be caused by many problems inside the body. Besides neck, skin on other body folds like underarms, groin & knuckles could also be affected.
What are the reasons for extra skin cells?
The most common reason is hormonal imbalance, especially the hormone which regulates our blood glucose level. When this fails to do its primary work efficiently, i.e. lowering blood glucose level, the body produces more of it. The increased level of this interacts with the skin cells especially on body folds, triggering their multiplication.
Thus, more number of skin cells get produced, giving a look of dirt accumulation. The other very less often reasons could be drugs induced, hereditary, or in rare cases because of cancer.
Why does this hormonal imbalance occur?
- Sedentary lifestyle,
- Oily, fatty, carbohydrate rich junky food.
- Lack of exercise or obesity,
- Some other diseases like diabetes, hyperthyroidism and PCOS
Would the person be necessarily/diabetic/or having high blood glucose level?
No. Not necessarily. The person might have a normal body weight and glucose level. But this is a warning signal that if not attended to, the person may become diabetic with or without normal body weight.
Who is vulnerable? Is this contagious.
Anyone who is not leading a healthy lifestyle, not having healthy food and not doing regular exercise, irrespective of gender may be at risk. It’s seen even in children of 8-10 years old. Obesity, diabetes and various hormonal disorders are other risk factors. And no, it is not contagious.
Is it curable. If yes, could it come back?
If it is not too late when diagnosed, in most of the cases, yes. Appropriate medicine, regular exercise and healthy food can completely cure it. And Yes. It could come back if a healthy lifestyle is not being followed.
Does someone have to take the medicine lifelong? Or how long the medicine has to be taken?
It has to be taken as per physician’s advice. In most cases, the physician would advise to take medicine till the disappearance of dark patches. After that, exercise & healthy food should contain it. In case dark patches reappear, visit a dermatologist again.
What would be the consequences if attention is not paid to it?
If not attended to, it ultimately leads to diabetes, which is an irreversible disease.
Do all diabetic patients have dark patchy neck?
No, not necessarily. In some patients, the dark patches on the neck are too faint to be recognised, while some may fail to show the symptoms at all and directly head to diabetic stage.
Is it a cause of great concern?
Yes, it is, but not a cause of great worry. Awareness and change in lifestyle will contain this. But awareness or knowledge about this is lacking among patients & people around us.
What to do if you see someone with dark patchy neck?
Tell them, that this is not dirt. Ask them not to ignore, and encourage them to visit a dermatologist. A brief education about the condition will certainly encourage them to visit a specialist. Also encourage them to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
Why only dermatologist?
Dermatologists know more about skin. They could identify whether the dark patches are Acanthosis Nigricans or just hyper pigmentation or something else. No other specialist will take dark patches on skin as seriously as a skin specialist.
How much time it may take for the dark patches to fade away?
It is purely subjective. It may vary from few months to several months. It depends on the severity, the stage of diagnosis, and individual’s response considering that the medicine and healthy lifestyle are followed religiously.
Over 50 million Indians has diabetes. Many of these patients could have been stopped being diabetic had they known about this dark patchy neck condition. So, let’s spread the awareness. Whenever you see someone with dark patch on the neck, educate and encourage them to visit a dermatologist. Also look for dark patches on neck & knuckles in your family members and friends for the same.
Let’s spread the awareness as a small service to the Nation and Humanity.
May 29, 2017
Wrinkles, spots, lines and other signs of ageing can get you really worked up! Now, while this is something women can’t escape, here are 4 home masks/ treatments you could use for ever youthful skin.
Egg and Milk pack
Eggs have anti-ageing agents like protein and omega-3 fatty acids. So a face pack made of Egg whites and milk cream will help in keeping the skin tight and smooth. This pack can be used on alternate days every week.
Tip: You could even add lemon juice to this pack, for better results.
Yogurt and Honey pack
For all age groups and skin care tips, yogurt is definitely the way to go. Especially for anti-ageing, yogurt helps in preventing wrinkles and keeps the skin fresh and tight.
How to use this pack?
Mix yogurt, honey, lemon juice and some turmeric. Apply this pack for around 15 minutes and rinse with warm water. Also recommended is Vitamin E capsules with this face pack. The oil present in Vitamin E capsules is a perfect add on to this mix.
Make a paste of the avocado and apply on your skin for around 10 minutes. Avocados, rich in Vitamin C and E, prevent wrinkles and keep the skin firm. Avocado masks and even massages with chilled avocado slices can be used once a week for effective results.
Soak almonds in warm milk overnight, grind the almonds with the same milk and your pack is ready! This face pack can be applied for around 20 minutes twice a week and is best for keeping the skin hydrated. While milk prevents skin drying, almonds help in avoiding sagging of skin and keeping wrinkles away.
Several other ingredients like bananas, rose water, strawberries, coconut milk, and potato juice are recommended for anti-ageing skin care.
- Apply Warm Water On The Pimple Surface – This is the most advisable remedy for curing heat boils in this scorching summer. Just dip a cloth in warm salted water and dab it on the boil for around 15 minutes, through the day. This will help in getting the pus out from your skin.
- Apply Neem leaves Paste – Boil neem leaves in water and then wait for few minutes and once it turns into a semi solid, apply the paste on the top of your boil to get rid of your pimples.
- Garlic and Onion Paste – Cut a slice of onion and wrap it around a cloth. Now, press this cloth on the boil for a few minutes to drain out the boil. Garlic is also highly recommended for boils and rashes. So you can also Prepare a garlic paste and apply it directly on the boils for a quick cure.
- Apply Tea Tree Oil Using A Cotton – Get instant relief from heat boils by dabbing a piece cotton dipped in Tea Tree Oil on the top of your pimple. It is a great antifungal and an antibacterial agent and helps in effective riddance of heat boils and pimples.
- Apply Turmeric and Milk Paste On Top Of Pimples – Turmeric and milk have high medicinal values and can be combined together in several ways and could be used to fight heat boils like:
- Applying turmeric and milk paste on the boil. You could also add vinegar to this mixture.
- Turmeric and rose water paste or turmeric and ginger paste is also a great home remedy for boils and pimples.
- Drink a warm glass of milk mixed with turmeric at least 2 or 3 times a day, to keep the boils away!
May 8, 2017
Eggs – Rich in iron and protein, eggs are a must for babies. Make sure you introduce egg whites in the growing stage. Scrambled eggs, boiled egg whites, omelets are all highly recommended. Don’t forget to feed them small portions of the same, according to their capacity.
Yogurt and Avocado – Yogurt and avocado are recommended for high calorie intake. Avocado is nutritious and rich in good fat.
Yogurt can be provided to 6 month old babies. High in calcium, non flavored yogurt is the most preferred. You could even consider making yogurt out of whole milk.
Butter – Lots of them might advise to avoid this fatty food, but feeding butter during growing stages is actually boosts calorie intake. Make sure you buy organic butter. You could also mix butter with cereals.
Beans – Cooking soaked beans or adding beans to other dishes like soup, is perfect for the baby. Beans and lentils are super rich in manganese, protein and iron.
Herbs – Herbs are great antioxidants agents and help prepare your child for intake of solids after turning one. Adding herbs to meat, avocado and vegetables is a great way to expose them to flavors. Remember not to mix too much chili into any food, for the baby.
April 10, 2017
Cleansing and moisturising
April 3, 2017
We have all heard never-ending theories and advice when it comes to cholesterol. Here is a simple guide to everything you need to know about cholesterol.
- It is a fatty acid like substance present in your body cells.
- Plays a major role in cardiovascular diseases, heat stroke, blood pressure an diabetes
- Cholesterol is vital for 3 elements – Hormones, food digestion and Vitamin D in the body
- Now though the body makes enough Cholesterol, a lot of it additionally enters our body due to our diet.
- Lipo proteins are the carriers responsible for Transporting Cholesterol through our body
- There are essentially two types of lip proteins – Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and High-density lipoprotein (HDL)
Since the two make up your cholesterol count, here is what you must know about LDL and HDL
- LDL is bad cholesterol and HDL is good cholesterol
- While LDL is responsible for blocks in the arteries and heart strokes, HDL helps remove bad cholesterol from the arteries
Note: Your LDL level should never be more than 190. A high LDL level makes you more prone to heart diseases.
- At the same time your HDL level should always be high – means lesser risk of heart attacks and helps carrying LDL to the liver, where it’s broken down.
Now, let’s move on to healthy lifestyle changes you need to implement right away, to control cholesterol levels.
- Avoid food that is high in saturated fat i.e food from animals like mean, egg yolks, milk, butter etc.
- Trans fat also should not be part of your diet, i.e. fried food items like chips, crackers and even cookies
- Your health will automatically improve with intake of nuts, fish, fruits, oats, lentils and vegetables. All these keep LDL levels low and helps in cardiovascular conditions.
Exercising regularly is an indicator of better cholesterol levels and you also fight over-weight issues which usually cause lower HDL levels.
- You are likely to develop cholesterol, if it runs in the family.
- Kidney and liver disease might also contribute to cholesterol levels
- After the age of 20, Cholesterol levels automatically rise.
- Check your blood pressure regularly
Did you know? ‘Cholesterol-free’ labelled foods do not mean they have less of it or they have removed it, they are basically made up of plant based food that contain no cholesterol at all.
March 23, 2017
Your beautician, friends, family, colleagues, almost everyone you know would have offered you these hair tips and tricks at some point in your life. It is time to debunk all those and keep it simple.
Shinier hair with a cold rinse
Did you know? Hair doesn’t really react to water temperature. So, a cold or hot rinse isn’t the key for shinier hair. Conditioner is the tip to shinier hair.
Frequent trimming for growth
Here’s the truth guys, regular trimming does not help in hair growth. It sure does keep the ends healthier and cuts off split ends, but has nothing to do with length. The growth is happening from the scalp and the root. So, growth irrespective of trimming, doesn’t alter. Trimming once in 3 months is more than enough, that too not for faster growth, remember!
Products stop suiting hair texture
We think beyond a point, certain products stop suiting our hair. Now this is the myth we need to debunk. So, if weather conditions, hormones and habits change, that’s when your shampoo starts working in different ways. Also, straightening, coloring, makeovers or other changes to length and texture is the reason products give varied results. Switching brands is not the key, maintaining the texture by avoiding heat and other changes around is.
Hair dyeing can cause damage
Don’t worry about coloring your hair, especially if hair is not healthy or damaged. Dyeing doesn’t tamper health of the hair. Remember, the hair in the scalp is always newer than damaged ends, so coloring doesn’t cause further damage.
Brush your hair when wet
Firstly, excessive brushing is not recommended at all. Secondly, brushing while hair is still wet can cause the most damage. It is better to detangle hair with your fingers. Brushing your hair will easily cause breakage. Most importantly, avoid brushes with sharp edges and use more wide-toothed combs.