November 20, 2017
Source: Women’s Health
October 16, 2017
You try a lot of products to enhance your external appearance. Be it some product over the counter or natural homemade remedies, you continuously experiment different tricks for glowing skin.
So, here are we with a new substitute which with its antioxidant capabilities boosts skin nourishment. Spirulina is the dark green algae; we would like you to give it a try. Not only for skin but it is also beneficial for the body. It boosts our immune system and helps remove harmful toxins from our body.
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is the dark green algae that grow over the surface of the river or ponds. This natural green leafy thing is rich in protein and appears to be the best source of antioxidants, B-vitamins, and other nutrients when processed properly.
What’s more! You can consume it with water or sprinkle over the food like pepper.
Why should you include this in your diet?
The best way to use these algae is to make a paste (with water) and apply it on the face. Its application will soothe your skin and remove the dead cells. It is available in the form of powder, tablet, and flakes. So, you can choose the way you want to use it.
Benefits of Spirulina:
- Reduces dark circles
- Fights inflammation
- Detoxes the body
- Fights acne with its antibacterial properties
- Anti-aging effects
- Helps the skin retain moisture
- Encourages cell turnover
October 9, 2017
Snake Venom Beauty Product:
I know this sounds a little odd, but our favorite celebrity, Gwyneth Paltrow is quite the daring diva who applies snake venom for her skin nourishment. Scientists have found a way to convert the deadly venom into a friendly product which acts like a Botox and stuns the muscle. It seems Gwyneth is a fan of this treatment.
Even my eyes opened wide when I saw this process for rejuvenating the skin cells. Kim Kardashian posted a picture with her face covered in blood that went viral on the internet. Questions were raised. The weirdness of this treatment lies in the fact that infusing blood in the face soars up the platelets count which in turn reduces wrinkles. Substantial trials haven’t yet been done for this so-called Vampire Facial, but our role models leave no stone unturned in age reversal.
Skin care products with Earthworm poop:
As the list goes down, it becomes even more disgusting. There are certain skin care products which contain earthworm poop which is seen as an essential element by skin care manufacturers. The excreted material contains Collagen which helps the skin to remain tight and supple.
Another facial treatment that has poop.This time, it’s not of an earthworm but of a bird – Nightingale. The excreted material is mixed with other stuff like bran and then the combined mixture is applied on the face. Geisha Facial method originated in Japan, but famous star Victoria Beckham regularly uses this product for her skin.
Popular Hollywood star Demi Moore is known to use Snail Facial for her skin. Snails excrete slime which contains antioxidant ingredients. It fights aging and keeps the skin smooth and wrinkle-free.
September 18, 2017
Have you ever watched the rising sun or gazed it transcending into the darkness? I guess most of you do this every day in your life. But Riley McCoy isn’t allowed, not at least without any protection sheets!
Riley McCoy aged 17 waits all day to enjoy her time out of the window glasses because of a rare inherited disorder which is known as Xeroderma Pigmentosum. In this peculiar disease, any exposure to UV rays causes a blistering burn, potential malignant cancer, internal organ damage and eventually death. Cyclobutane dimmers and 6-4 photoproducts are the causal factors for the above-listed problems. As her DNA lacks the antigen to repair the skin damages, she becomes a prey for the rays.
So, what is Xeroderma pigmentosum?
- Xeroderma pigmentosum (XP) is a rare form of disease in which the individual falls prey to Ultraviolet rays from the sun due to the inability to repair the damaged skin.
- Any slight exposure to sunlight is forbidden.
- If the person has to move out of the house, he/she has to wear protective sheets in order to cover up the naked parts.
- Individuals with this disease are often colloquially referred as “Moon child“.
- Corneal ulcerations, dry skin, spider veins, solar keratoses are some of the symptoms indicating the absence of immunity level.
Facts about Xeroderma pigmentosum:
- In general, 1 in 250,000 people get affected by XP.
- The gene frequency for XP is 1:200.
- This genetic disorder is more common in the Middle East and Japan.
- Till now, no cure or medications are available to fight this disorder. The standard treatment protocol includes avoiding sun exposure and protection sheets if it’s necessary to go out.
- Every 3 months, the patient has to visit the dermatologist and to have eye checkup.
September 4, 2017
What is skin cancer?
The development of abnormal cells on the skin prompts skin cancer. It happens when unrepaired DNA leads to mutation or genetic deformities. It results due to prolonged exposure to ultraviolet rays or artificial tanning gadgets.
Three types of skin cancer:
- Basal- cell carcinoma or BCC: The most common type of skin cancer which occurs as a sore and then causes bleeding.
- Squamous cell skin cancer: A skin cancer type which appears as fish scales under the microscope. It usually appears as a hard lump with a scaly top but can also form an ulcer.
- Melanoma: Among the three, comes Melanoma a.k.a malignant melanoma. The primary cause is linked with (UV) exposure in those with low levels of skin pigment.
Some facts about skin cancer:
- Currently, 132,000 melanoma skin cancer and within 2-3 million non-melanoma skin cancers occur worldwide each year.
- One in every three cancers diagnosed is a skin cancer. According to the data by Skin Cancer Foundation Statistics, one in every five Americans develops skin cancer in their lifetime.
- One person dies of melanoma every hour.
- An estimated 9,730 people will die of melanoma in 2017.
- On average, a person’s risk for melanoma doubles if he/she suffers from more than five sunburns.
- Ultraviolet (UV) radiation is a proven human carcinogen.
- Countries like Brazil and Australia have banned indoor tanning salons.
- As a matter of fact, lung cancer due to smoking happens less compared to skin cancer because of tanning.
Skin cancer is easy to treat if the symptoms are recognized soon. If you have sore or lump or broken skin (ulcer) which exceeds more than four weeks, you mustn’t procrastinate and seek medical help immediately.
Remember, lives lost can’t be replaced. So, I won’t recommend extensive use of artificial tanning gadgets because when someone suffers, it’s not only the patient but the entire family has to deal with the pain and trauma.