December 24, 2015
Let’s say you are planning for an important event for so long. You want everything to be perfect from the venue to the way you look on that day. The night before the D day, you have sorted out everything such as what time to start, how to reach the location, what dress to wear etc. Finally, the day has arrived and with loads of excitement, you are looking into the mirror hoping to see the perfect you. What if you find a little pop on your face? This pop also popularly known as a pimple or acne can totally spoil your mood and make you feel like canceling the entire plan. This little monster can cause jitters more than a horror movie.
Acne is not a teenage problem alone. From tiny zits to scarring cysts, acne can affect anyone irrespective of age and gender. We all wish for a clear skin without acne or acne marks. So what causes acne? Before we explore the causes of acne, we should be able to differentiate the different types of acne.
- When they appear as small, congested pores they are known as comedones, also known as blackheads or whiteheads.
- When they are tender red bumps, they are known as papules.
- When they are tender, red or with a yellow tinge, pus-filled, they are known as pustules.
- Nodule is a severe type of acne. They are large, hard bumps under the skin’s surface. Scarring is common.
- Cyst is the most severe form. It appears similar to a nodule but is pus-filled. It can be painful and scarring is common.
Let’s move on to the major causes of Acne,
- Hyperkeratinization (increased production of skin cells called Keratin)
- Excess Sebum/ oil production by oil glands called Sebaceous glands.
- Increased multiplication of bacteria called P. acnes.
- Hormonal Imbalance
Now as we know the types and causes of acne, let’s explore the prevention methods and treatment options in the upcoming posts.